NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Recently read: Jo Packham’s Where Women Create



The subtitle is Inspiring Work Spaces of Extraordinary Women, and this book is full of lush color photographs of rooms and studios in old farmhouses, modern homes, apartments and even a boat. Each artist is featured in her work area, and provides her own tips on making the space not only inspiring, but practical. A potter uses the hayloft of an old dairy barn, a designer has supplies and finished work from floor to ceiling while another designer uses the dishwasher to store her paints and brushes, a painter has a garden studio filled with flowers, and a quilter hangs works in progress on siding panels. The colors of the various materials and the ingenious storage methods are fun to look at. The only downside to this wonderful book is that now MY office looks so boring and banal—how can anything magical come out of it?

1 comment:

Suzanne Lilly said...

I would be ashamed to have a picture of my workspace in this book. Books every which way on shelves, stacks of paper peeping out of file drawers, notes and pictures stuck all over the corkboard at crazy angles. But I do have a comfy couch to recline on that my cat keeps warm!