NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Sunday, September 21, 2008

Today is . . .



One of the many habits I acquired through Julie Cameron’s teaching in The Artist’s Way is writing three “morning pages” by hand every day. In part a journal and daily record, the pages are also intended to keep one’s creativity and artist’s way alive. And they do. Over the four months that I’ve been doing them, I’ve been including what I call “Today is.” I unleash a stream of consciousness of words that loosely describe what the day seems to be. I write the words that come to mind, especially in terms of colors and all five senses. Sometimes I add descriptions of time as it seems that day. The words may relate to what the day actually looks like, but maybe not. For example, a sunny day may still feel like it’s lavender-gray. A rushed day may feel elastic. A weekend day may seem gentle. This has become not only a wonderful exercise in self-exploration, but a potent tool for writing. I plan on periodically posting “Today is . . .” as an inspiration for you to try it yourself in whatever form works for you. A weaver may weave “today,” a painter may sketch “today,” and a teacher may write down insights of “today.”

Today is . . . fresh peaches and pink light, the scent of clean air and dampness, muted, misty, a transition, a point of light diffusing into softness. Time today is flowing, releasing, moving gently, light blue and crystal, edged with softness like moss and water ivy, tasting of fresh berries, scented with cut grass.

No comments: