NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Crane count



Each spring, Carl and I, armed with binoculars, head out at a dreadfully early hour to participate in the Annual Midwest Crane Count. We volunteered for the count soon after we moved here, and have made it one of our spring rituals. The first year Carl and Sharpie spotted one flying up our valley, while I saw two soaring north above our house. It’s a good thing we had that thrill because we’ve not seen any since. We keep trying, though. This year the official count day is April 19. For more information on the annual count, or cranes in general, visit the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo, Wisconsin, or check the web site at http://www.cranecount.org/ If you are interested in participating, contact the foundation to find out how to get in touch with the coordinator in your area. He or she will give you the official Crane Count sheets, and training (if you need it). Carl has already seen a few as he drives Interstate 94 to Madison, so we're once again optimistic we'll see some on Crane Count day again.

No comments: