NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Thursday, April 3, 2008

Recently read: William Kent Krueger’s Copper River



Every novel in Krueger’s series with the sometimes-sheriff, Cork O’Connor is always satisfying. Set in northern Minnesota (usually—this one is actually in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which is geologically part of Wisconsin), Krueger always recreates the beauty and starkness of the north woods and its people. A sequel to Mercy Falls, the book follows O’Connor as he is on the run from a Chicago gangster’s hit men. He takes shelter with his cousin and her son. His arrival is fortuitous, because young teens are missing and bodies are turning up. As usual, Krueger is worth reading.


I met Krueger last year when he and the rest of Minnesota Crime Wave spoke at our Writers Guild. The Crime Wave deserves its own posting, as do the other writers Ellen Hart and Carl Brookins. I’ll be writing more on all of them. If you can’t wait, check out their web site at http://www.minnesotacrimewave.org/

No comments: