NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Monday, April 21, 2008

Haiku and Roger McGough



Haiku is form of 19th century Japanese poetry, and it also has many dedicated English-speaking (and writing) poets. I am not a big poetry fan, but I do like haiku. Haiku written in English have three lines: the first line usually has five syllables, the second has seven, and the third has three. I just ran across this haiku by 20st century English poet Roger McGough. I thought his haiku was very amusing, and sums up many poets’ feelings about haiku:

The only problem
with haiku is that you just
get started and then
. . .




No comments: