NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Recently read: John Brady’s A Stone of the Heart



Brady has written numerous novels featuring Inspector Matt Minogue of the Garda Murder Squad in Dublin. I never tire of reading these books. Minogue is the sort of detective I like, just sensitive enough, and full of human frailty. I’ve noticed as the mystery/police procedural genre has progressed over the decades, the hard-boiled single male personified by Sam Spade and Phillip Marlowe has morphed into the sensitive and brilliant man, of which Minogue is one. In this book, a murder in the hallowed grounds of Trinity College brings the “town” into the world of the “gown” (that'll make sense to those of you who are familiar with that expression). Drugs, the IRA, money, and hereditary privilege are at odds with Minogue and his team in their search for justice. As usual, Brady is well worth reading.

No comments: