NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Recently read: Robert K. Tanenbaum’s Malice



I love this series about New York District Attorney Butch Karp and his hard-boiled wife Marlene Ciampi. I have read every one of the books—all are filled with believable characters, whether the adolescent angst-ridden daughter Lucy, an insane (or maybe not) religious leader who lives in the sewers of the city, a Vietnamese soldier, and the rest of the good guys. And if you think those sound intriguing, what till you meet the bad guys.

In this book, Karp and his family and friends fight City Hall (a frequent theme), terrorists, and attempted assassinations. They are aided in their struggle by Basque fugitives, the Mole People and their leader, and a Native American tracker. On the bad guy side of the ledger, we have dishonest officials, a corrupt national athletic association and evil in high places. This is a page-turner, even though it sounds like some grade B movie from 1950s. Tanenbaum is a lawyer who has held a variety of highly placed positions. Oh, and did I mention that he is an excellent writer?

No comments: