NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Thursday, July 24, 2008

Another call for submissions: The quiddity of Abraham Lincoln



Quiddity is an international literary journal and public radio program. It is accepting submissions of poetry, prose and artwork inspired by Abraham Lincoln. Submit your work by August 8. If selected, it’ll be published in the Fall/Winter 08-08 edition of Quiddity, and you may be asked to read your work (that would be poetry or prose—not artwork) on the radio. No cash prizes, but a great publication credit and opportunity for radio exposure! For details, see http://www.sci.edu/quiddity/download/LTR_callforsubmissions_lincolnissue_acrobat.pdf


I have a huge vocabulary, and I’d never heard of the word “quiddity.” It means to get to the essence of something; hence your submission should capture the essence of Lincoln. My Webster’s Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary (1985) lists two other meanings, which I find amusing when you take them as a whole: “1. a trifling point, quibble; and 2. crochet, eccentricity.” Essence is listed as the third meaning.

No comments: