NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Recently read: Deborah Crombie’s Water Like a Stone



I always enjoy Crombie—like Elizabeth George and Martha Grimes, she’s an American who writes a wonderful British thriller. Her protagonists, Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Sergeant Gemma James, are likable and complex, as is their relationship. In this novel, they head to Kincaid’s boyhood home in Cheshire for a holiday celebration. The past resurfaces when a baby’s skeleton is uncovered, and long forgotten deeds are remembered. Things I particularly liked about this book included the descriptions of Kincaid’s family and the life of the canal people of England. This is a well-plotted novel with evocative descriptions of people, places, and feelings. Well worth reading.

No comments: