NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Monday, July 21, 2008

Getting back on track with my book proposal


I have written hundreds of proposals. Many have won contracts for my clients, many have resulted in grants, and many have resulted in requests for articles. I know I can write an effective proposal to editors and publishers on my book on the Mabel Tainter Memorial Theater. The problem is that my progress on the proposal (cover, outline, sample chapters) has been so slow over the past few months that it’s been almost nonexistent! I’ve gotten some articles on the theater published, I periodically note some thoughts about the book, and I’ve got a bare-bones table of contents. At this rate, I’ll be ready to submit it to some lucky editor round about 2025.

So I’ve signed up for the Writer’s Digest 14-week workshop called “Writing the Nonfiction Book Proposal.” It begins this Thursday and I’m so excited about it. I’ve taken a number of their workshops and courses over the years, and have always gotten great results. This will force me to stay on track (or, like the frog in the illustration above, “on stem”) to meet the biweekly deadlines, as well as getting professional advice. As good as my proposal would have been on my own, having help from experts will make it that much better. How great is that? I’ll keep you posted!

No comments: