NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Sunday, July 13, 2008

Fern Reiss and self-publishing


Fern Reiss, writer and self-publisher

This week’s writing essay in the Bylines 2008 Writer's Desk Calendar is by Fern Reiss. She is an expert in self-publishing and book promotions, as well as a writer. In her essay, Reiss had some excellent points about the advantages of self-publishing. For example, her book titled Terrorism and Kids: Comforting Your Child was in the bookstores within a week after 9/11. According to Reiss, most traditional publishers weren’t able to get their books on terrorism and the twin towers out until the summer of 2002. That’s an extremely good reason to self-publish if you are writing books on very timely topics, and is only one of the many reasons that Reiss is a self-publishing advocate. For more information, see her web site at http://www.publishinggame.com/ and sign up for her email newsletter. I just signed up and also got a contact sheet with information on reviewers, editors and other folks who can help with book promotions, plus I got a tip sheet on getting media attention. (For Bylines orders, see http://www.bylinescalendar.com/ )

No comments: