NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Thursday, July 31, 2008

Magazines are a great source of news, inspiration, and ideas

Image from http://www.doverpublishing.com/

In addition to books, we read a lot of magazines. Carl tends to ham radio, astronomy, gourmet food, hunting, science, and energy publications; my father leans toward Minnesota publications as well as history and art; and I get journals of education, historic preservation and museums, and health and women’s magazines. We all devour three news weeklies (Newsweek, Time, and The Week). All of these are print media and don’t even count the Web publications Carl and I read!


The July/August issue of body+soul (a Martha Stewart publication) reminded me why I love magazines so much. This one is well-designed and readable, on good quality paper, and has a wide array of topics. Also, many of my favorite writers, such as Jennifer Louden and Victoria Moran, are contributors. In just this issue alone, I found: an article on drinking water (my latest health habit), a feature called “Unplan Your Life,” which had some new ideas and suggestions, lots of information about the nutritional contents of onions, and tips on dealing with doggy separation anxiety (Sharpie HATES for us to leave). That to me is the dual point of reading—to learn things and to enjoy. A good print magazine provides both.

No comments: