NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Marketing and promoting books

This poster for the Works Project Administration (WPA) in Chicago, dated March 25, 1941, was created by professionals as part of the government's educational campaign. You can see the collection, titled By the People, For the People: Posters for the WPA 1936- 1943 at http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wpaposters/highlights.html
Sometimes using a professional is worth the money. The other day I saw a press release for a self-published book in a newspaper, but it didn’t include information on how to buy the book! Obviously not done by a professional. Even if you aren’t self-publishing, you still need to help out your agent and publishing company. I recently read an article by Diana Ennen, and followed the link to her web site at http://www.virtualwordpublishing.com/ I have added her to my list of publicity and marketing professionals, and I encourage you to do the same. Then, if your book sales aren’t what you had hoped, you have a list of professionals to turn to for help.

No comments: