NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Monday, January 28, 2008

To Read or not to Read: NEA’s report



Another WPA poster . . . see http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wpaposters/highlight5.html

In November, the National Endowment for the Arts released its report To Read or Not To Read: A Question of National Consequence. I think the results are alarming, but should not be a surprise to anyone who has watched with dismay the upsurge of video stores and the closing of bookstores and libraries. The report compares current findings to studies in previous years.

Two findings are that now Americans read less and are reading less well. Americans aged 15-24 spend about two hours a day watching TV and only seven minutes reading. Reading proficiency among adults has dropped by about 20 percent since 1992.

The report also points out a number of implications of these findings. One is the impact on the work force, where the majority of employers now specify that reading comprehension is very important. Another impact is that literate readers are more likely than non-readers to be active in positive community activities.

To see the full report, go to http://www.nea.gov/news/news07/TRNR.html

No comments: