NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Friday, January 18, 2008

Recently read: Lyn Hamilton’s The Magyar Venus



This is a fun and informative read for anyone who enjoys a good art-theft whodunit. Toronto antique dealer Lara McClintoch runs into an old college friend, and, when they get together with the rest of their old crowd, the evening turns deadly. A museum, an old flame, an old (25,000 years) ivory statue, and a trip to Budapest all help keep the action flowing. It is fascinating to follow McClintoch as she traces the provenance of the statue through diaries, conversations, maps, and even old weather reports. The result is surprising, even to a veteran mystery reader like me. I intend to track down more of Hamilton’s books in this series. This is the eighth one, so there are a lot to read.

No comments: