NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Friday, March 28, 2008

Recently read: Primo Levi’s Survival in Auschwitz: the Nazi Assault on Humanity



This book, a memoir, is terrifying to read for its insight into the unspeakable horrors humanity is capable of doing. Levi was a young man in 1943, a Jew living in his native Italy where he was a chemist. Deported by the fascists, he was sent to Auschwitz. The book is short, but powerful, as we read his recounting of life there. He does not rely on flowery prose, nor loaded words—he doesn’t need to. His writing is almost matter-of-fact as he describes the daily routine, the bartering of goods and services to survive, the hierarchy of the prisoners, the guards, the new arrivals, and the disappearances. After the war ended, Levi returned to his home town of Turin, where he spent the rest of his life as a writer, as well as returning to his original career as a chemist. The edition I read ends with a 1986 interview (the year before he died) with Levi by Phillip Roth, which provides additional insight at the distance of more than 50 years.

No comments: