NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Which granting agency will be the perfect fit for your project?



Once you’ve identified potential granting agencies and sources (hopefully you’ve found a number of them), now you need to figure which one(s) will be the perfect fit with your project. For example, years ago I served on the board of directors of Kanopy Dance & Theater Project in Madison. I wrote a grant that netted Kanopy funding that doubled their income for the year. It was because Kanopy’s emphasis on the theater arts for children and their proposed project of providing venues for disadvantaged children to participate in dance and theater performances was exactly in line with the county agency's vision and mission. If Kanopy’s proposed project had been for adults instead of children, it would not have been a good match. Take a look at the agency’s goals, vision statement, mission, and anything else that is public information. Most granting agencies, whether private or public sector, will clearly state the types of projects they want to fund. Don’t waste your time and theirs by applying for a grant for a project that is out of sync with the agency's mission.

No comments: