NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Writing the grant



When it comes time to write the grant, follow these basic steps to help your grant be more persuasive and professional:



  1. Write a traditional outline. Some granting agencies will require a specific order. Be sure you follow it, if they do. If they don’t, be sure you create a good outline that has a logical sequence, and appropriate transitions.

  2. Take the traditional outline and expand it into a writing outline. Note facts to include, points to make, references to include, etc. This should also help you see where you need to spend more thinking time. For example, as you fill in details, are there holes? Is your rationale convincing? How credible is your budget? Is it clear from your writing who will benefit from your grant?

  3. Talk to others, either at work or in your field. Ask them what’s missing, what’s weak, and how well you have convinced them of your project’s worth.
  4. Ideally, once you have a draft that you’re satisfied with, let it sit for a while before you submit it. Even letting it rest overnight will help.

  5. Then, read it again—out loud. Fix anything you don’t like now, and ship ‘er out!

No comments: