NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Friday, July 24, 2009

Kaylin Haught and God



In the Palm of Your Hand, by Steve Kowit

I ran across Kaylin Haught’s poem “God Says Yes to Me” in Patti Digh’s book Life is a verb. I love the poem (and Digh’s book as well—more about that in a Recently Read posting soon). I’m neither a poet nor am I usually a poetry reader, but this poem really speaks to me. The poem is contained in Steve Kowit’s book, In the Palm of Your Hand, published by Tilbury House. I’ve ordered Kowit’s book, so look for a review of it, too, in a Recently Read posting later this summer.


I asked God if it was okay to be melodramatic
and she said yes
I asked her if it was okay to be short
and she said it sure is
I asked her if I could wear nail polish
or not wear nail polish
and she said honey
she calls me that sometimes
she said you can do just exactly
what you want to
Thanks God I said
And is it even okay if I don’t paragraph my letters
Sweetcakes God said
who knows where she picked that up
what I’m telling you is
Yes Yes Yes

--Kaylin Haught, “God Says Yes to Me,”
From The Palm of Your Hand (1995)

3 comments:

The Sock Sisters said...

Erica - I love that poem too! I'm completely in love with anyone who thinks God talks like that.

Heidi

jayneleni said...

I also loved this quote! Thank you for posting it - I sent it along to Heather and Chris, as well.

Unknown said...

Oh Yes

I wonder if a 'she' god says yes more then 'HE' god
that may be the ticket
I gonna net me a 'she'
She can be all I can be
because all i do is say yes
she says yes and I say yes and we say yes
Go Yes
I like that 'she' word
She feels me
She knows me
She believes me
She caresses me
She sweeps and keeps
She has mother love

Now 'He' is a tuffer dude on us
He say no a lot
He is the boss
He has to take the chariot to work every day
He is scary
He might be harry
He has always scared me

Yes... Y, 'she' is what I need
Oh Yes
More yes more freedom
yes to the road
yes to homing pigeons
yes to any home life

Say Yes to marriage
Oh yes
i love my god
Oh Yes