NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Monday, July 6, 2009

Recently read: Arturo Perez-Reverte’s The Flanders Panel



This is the second book I’ve read by this Spanish historian and author and it’s as good as the first one. In this, an art restorer named Julia discovers a mysterious message under the layers of paint. The Flemish painting is a triple portrait of two men playing chess, and a woman in the background. The trio, the Duke of Flanders, his wife, and one of his knights, were involved in a murder during their lives 500 years before. Now, people connected with the upcoming auction of the painting are also being murdered. Chess masters and art historians take their turns at solving the mysteries. This is a particularly compelling book if you play chess; however, lack of knowledge of the game doesn’t hinder your appreciation of a well-written book with a surprising ending.

No comments: