NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Thursday, July 2, 2009

Recently read: William Kent Krueger’s Thunder Bay



Krueger is a local author for those of us in the Upper Midwest. I met him several years ago when he and his friends (who speak at events as Minnesota Crime Wave http://www.minnesotacrimewave.org/ ) spoke at the Lake Menomen Writers Series that I arranged. His protagonist, Cork O’Connor, promises to help his friend Henry Meloux find the son Meloux has never seen. An Ojibwe medicine man (Mide), Meloux has special abilities to sense the truth. O’Connor tracks the son to the Canadian wildness beyond the city of Thunder Bay. A large part of the novel takes us back to the 1930s, when Meloux was a very young man trying to exist in a white man’s world while learning the skills of a Mide. Another excellent book from an exceptional writer.

No comments: