NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Friday, July 17, 2009

Recently read: John Harvey’s In a True Light



This writer is new to me and I intend to track down more of his works. In this, Sloane (his first name is not used) is released from prison after serving time for art forgery. He wanders his old London haunts, finding his studio ruined by transients and finding a new friend in the immigrant community that has edged into the neighborhood. Word arrives that his old girlfriend, Jane Graham, from his wild youth is dying in Italy and wishes to see him before her death. Sloane travels to see Graham, who had become an internationally known artist after their affair, while he became a hunted forger. Now Sloane has to do the hunting himself, as he tracks down the daughter who was born after his brief fling with Graham. Harvey draws on the actual art scene of New York and London in the 1950s, and the emergence of a cadre of women artists from the time. Fascinating.

No comments: